75% of the entrepreneurial battle is won in Africa, the remaining 25% is hardest to win -‘start-up’ funds!
Africa must be the ultimate entrepreneur’s haven. So many needs, small and large - and so few to provide them! Of course it is not quite as simple as that but that is the essence of it. With a keen eye to spot a need and the determination to provide it, (and gain by it), 75% of the entrepreneurial battle is won in Africa. The remaining 25% is the hardest. The hardest to win is the ‘start-up’ funds!
So, what then is an entrepreneur; more particularly what best describes an African entrepreneur? An entrepreneur is basically a driven individual who is prepared to take a risk to realise a vision; usually a business idea he or she is attracted to. To realise this goal focus is usually fixed on supplying a commodity or providing a service, in an (usually) unnoticed niche he/she has spotted, followed by an often unquenchable drive to meet the needs of that niche, gain self-satisfaction, serve the community, and make a living doing something they love!
An entrepreneurial business therefore is about focus; focus on a goal, an ideal, a belief; having a mission or vision and then a passion for putting the idea into practice.
One is not recognising entrepreneurial talent, skill and artistry if one just sees the entrepreneur as a mere business person.
A straight business person is generally without a mission and his/her work ethic is predominately motivated by an interest in making money. Straight business people lack that entrepreneurial spirit which is built also on other objectives. For this reason, the talented entrepreneur is therefore more likely to succeed in the long run, sometimes way beyond his/her financial aspirations!
An entrepreneur often has characteristics on his/her side that the straight business person may not. He/she is usually innovative and creative in thinking. He/she embraces the enjoyment gained from working hard at their idea, and generally posses a strong desire to provide a community service.
As such entrepreneurs are likely to be more honest! Finally, a successful entrepreneurial venture is likely to open a charitable wing.